Thursday 30 July 2015

'Mad dogs and Englishmen'. Garden Tour.

Hello, my name is Murphy, you may of read about me in 'The Team'.

I haven't taken you on a garden tour since March.


My Mistress, Mary...


... the love of my life is on holiday in Spain, apparently at midday the temperature reaches 40c
and only 'Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun'.
The Head Gardener and Head of Catering (whom I am particularly fond of) have been left to look after me.
I thought I would help the HG with this garden tour.
We will start in the south facing front garden, where the 'CATS' sunbathe...


...enjoying the sunshine is an Aeonium...


....and Galtonia Viridiflora.

On the patio Hosta 'The Prince of Wales' is looking very Regal...


The HG is pleased with this new Allium that is growing in an old tin bath, which he first mentioned Here

A. Red Mohican.
Coreopsis 'Sterntaler' along with Geranium 'Rozanne' provide a cheerful welcome in pots on the patio either side of the dining room doors ( One of my favourite rooms)


Red currants are trained on the fence by the herb garden...


...continuing the Red theme is Lily 'Landini'...


...and Dahlia 'Bishop of Llandaff'...



It is not just Labradors that come in yellow or black,

Alcea rosea 'Nigra', Hollyhock to you and I.


Moving from the patio we pass the new Hot Bed planted with mainly Dahlias.. 
D. After Eight.
D.David Howard.
D. 'Karma Choc'
Pom Pom.
D. coccinea var.Palmeri.

 ...and Cosmos bipinnatus 'Rubenza'..

...and Tagetes patula 'Cinnabar' the seed of which HG purchased from Great Dixter.


This self seeded poppy, the HG thinks is wonderful...


along with the Ladybird poppy.


Please follow me this way past....


...the White & Green garden with Lychnis Alba, Erygium Giganteum...


...and Astrantia Major visited by a Meadow Brown butterfly.


Through the arch to the main central borders...


..flowering at the rear is Thalictrum flavum subsp.glaucum alongside Campanula lactiflora 'Prichard's Variety' (Try saying that after too many Bonio's)


An unknown Phlox from Great Aunt's garden...


A quick turn around the Never Ending Woodland Walk ( HG delusions of grandeur)...


...pass the Veronicastrum Fascination...


...and Lysimachia ciliate 'Firecracker'.


HG allows me to sleep in his potting shed while he is 'working'.

I hope you have enjoyed this garden tour, I am off to see if there is any cat food left in the kitchen!


''SHE'S BACK"!


Please click on any photo to create a slide show.

13 comments:

  1. Murphy, I thank you ever so much for the tour of the garden through your eyes, it was a pleasure. Now I hope the HG had a few treats as a reward for all the effort you put into putting this post together :)
    The HG has some lovely plants and I love many of this planting combos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a throughly spoilt dog by the ladies in this house, Angie ( I'm not jealous! )

      Delete
  2. The ID of the butterfly is wrong, it is a Gatekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your garden tour. We see this butterfly in our garden and I was just off to tell Myra what it was, glad to have been updated as she would have enjoyed putting me right at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alistair. I am pleased I saved you from that fate!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Murphy , you must be exhausted after the tour so best have a little lie down!
    Some sumptuous plants Brian, especially those dahlias, which have been added to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jane, the David Howard Dahlia is I think my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tour Murphy. I hope that you were rewarded with a special treat afterwards. I've grown tagetes patula 'Cinnibar' at the allotment this year and am most pleased with it. Can you please ask the HG whether that fabulous lily 'Landini' is scented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary also grows Tagetes 'Cinnibar' on her allotment, growing to around 3ft it is useful as a cut flower. L.'Landini' is only slightly scented, Anna.

      Delete
  7. A lovely tour - thank you, Murphy! The HG has done a wonderful job, and I'm jealous of that Galtonia viridiflora - G. candicans is copping out on me now with no fragrance and most of the flowers drying before they open... The poppies are charmers, both of them. I can't help asking, Murphy - you stay strictly on the garden walks, don't you? I am trimming back the Salvia greggii which BettyTheDog finds so comfortable to lie in at watering time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I do try to stay strictly on the garden walks, occasionally I see one of those pesky 'CATS' and forget myself, much to the HG annoyance!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your visit to my blog and comment - lovely flowers in your garden, such a pretty free poppy - I have had a bountiful supply of them too this year.
    I have put you into my bloglovin as I am not too sure about google+!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, it does seem to have been a good year for poppies, probably due to the dry summer we have had here.

      Delete

To select a comment profile please click on 'Comment as'.You don't need a blog to comment select Name/URL and enter your name. All comments are welcome, they are however modulated for spam.