Monday 21 September 2015

"In the Pink"

I have not contributed to the meme "In a Vase on Monday" before, principally while I appreciate flower arrangements and the art involved, any cut flowers I bring into the house tend to be just plonked in a vase or left in a jug for those more skilled than I to deal with.
However today with some VIP friends visiting, Irene and I raided youngest daughter Mary's allotment.
 (I have a half share and pay the rent!).



The Cosmos has self seeded from Candy Stripe which was planted last year...


...isn't nature wonderful when left to get on with it?


This Cosmos is bipinnatus 'Rubenza', a lovely deep colour.


Viewing from above...


...you can see the pink Dahlia (Unknown) that has been growing in allotment for two years now winter and summer.


Positioned on the dining table with orchids in the background...


...awaiting the tea and cakes!

Arrangement by Irene Photographs by Brian.

Too see what other bloggers have in a vase on Monday please visit Cathy:Here

12 comments:

  1. Love that dark cosmos, Brian - and I am pleased to hear that Candy Stripe will self-seed so I won't need to try extra hard to collect fresh seed for next year. Glad you weren't frightened off by posh arrangements - most of us are mere plonkers! Thanks so much for joining in, and I hope your blooms were appreciated as much as your tea and cakes will have been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy. I can confirm the tea and cakes were much appreciated along with the chance to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on Brian. If you can artfully arrange your flowers in the garden, I'm sure you can do the same in a vase. Your colours look quite spring-like (very welcome on a wet day like today).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne for your confidence in me. It is true that some of the best gardeners started as flower arrangers.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes to plonk is better than to arrange, and frequently the most charming outcomes result from the flowers and foliage 'speaking for themselves'. I love to see what people are growing, and although I just had two cosmos plants which succumbed early in the season to weather and vermin, I shall try again next year. Welcome on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cosmos in all their shades and colours are well worth growing for a late summer show.

      Delete
  5. Brian I am new to your blog and came over from Cathy's as part of the Vase meme. I adore both cosmos and dahlias. Yours are arranged beautifully with all the pinks wonderfully working together. By the way, I am more of a plonker too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, welcome to Our Garden @19. They are two plants that make a wonderful contribution to the garden this time of year.

      Delete
  6. I can't comment on your blog via the new style wordpress reader, I could not previously see your photos, so now coming to your post via twitter, lets see if this works. Your vase is a real family effort and is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. it has worked this time, several people appear to be having problems with the new style WP reader.

      Delete
  7. So pretty! I do love Cosmos flowers and they are perfect to mix in vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy, they make a wonderful contribution to the garden, in all their colours this time of year

      Delete

To select a comment profile please click on 'Comment as'.You don't need a blog to comment select Name/URL and enter your name. All comments are welcome, they are however modulated for spam.